Last reviewed – April, 2021
Southwest Properties is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals who live, work or who otherwise interact with Southwest in accordance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPDA) Southwest recognizes the importance of obtaining consent where required by law for collection, use and discloser of personal information.
If you have any questions about our collection and use of personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer or Director of Marketing and Communications noted below.
Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information:
We ensure that consent has been received by any person disclosing information, and understand that consent can be implied or expressed and that it may be withdrawn at any time. Consent is not needed for any information that is publicly available and falls under the privacy act.
When inquiring about our properties or applying to be a resident of Southwest Properties, we may collect some or all the following personal information:
ii. Home, address and telephone number
iii. Date of birth
iv. Employment or school information
v. Email address
vii. Bank statement if applicable.
Privacy legislation requires that personal information is to only be collected, used or disclosed for appropriate purposes and limited to those purposes.
Access to and correction of personal information:
Southwest customers have a right to access and correct personal information. Customers can correct their personal information by logging into their own account, or contacting their Leasing Manager.
Retention and disposal of personal information:
Southwest will retain personal information for as long as reasonably necessary to address any issues and satisfy and potential legal obligations that Southwest may have
Use of Personal Information:
Your personal information may be used by us as permitted or required by law, and as reasonably necessary in relation to our transactions and services that we provide to you, including to:
- Process invoices and payments by credit card, debit systems or other billing and payment options; for leasing arrangements; to provide you with payment and other reminders and notices in relation to your residence; and
- Provide you with updates and information regarding services and opportunities offered by Southwest Properties and affiliated companies which may be of interest to you.
Sharing Your Personal Information:
We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may share some or all of your personal information as required or permitted by law, and as reasonably necessary in relation to our transactions and services with you, including to:
- Third parties responsible for invoicing and payment processing;
- Credit bureaus and agencies to conduct credit checks;
- Financial and leasing companies;
- Your insurance agent or company and insurance adjusters;
- Affiliated companies of Southwest Properties, for the purpose of resident and customer follow-up and to seek your input about and advise you of the opportunities and services by Southwest Properties and affiliates, but for this purpose we shall not share more than your name, address, telephone number and email address;
- Affiliated companies for the purpose of establishing your credit history among such affiliated companies, if you intend to enter into a transaction with such companies; and
- Another company or business, in the event of a proposed transfer or actual transfer of ownership of all or part of our companies to another company or business, but for this purpose, we shall not authorize use of your personal information beyond the scope of any such transaction or this Policy.
How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Information?
Southwest Properties retains your personal information as long as your relationship or transaction otherwise continues with us, and as long as reasonably necessary to address any issues and satisfy any potential legal obligations that we may have.
Safeguards For Personal Information:
The security of your personal information is important to us, and we use various technical, administrative and physical security measures to protect personal information that you provide to us.
Southwest Properties 1475 Lower Water Street – Suite 100, Halifax, NS – B3J 3Z2